Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Grace, Joy, and His Power

God is at work. In our lives. In our family. In my own spirit. He has been stretching me personally for the past seven months, as I learn to love like he loves. It’s a work in progress, for sure. Learning to love Zach has been hard. My perspective has been clouded by my own issues—fear, pride, and selfishness. I’ve been praying for God to help me see Zach through his lenses. Lenses of Love. And last night, I was able to see Zach, for the first time, through God’s perspective.

Last night, Zach had his therapeutic horse riding lesson. Although I didn’t witness it firsthand because Todd went with him, I heard all about it and his awesome instructor took pictures and sent them to me. And pictures truly do speak a thousand words.

So here’s what happened. A boy that is the same age as Zach was there and they did their lesson together. This boy has been coming to horse therapy for a month and has been too anxious to get on the horse. But last night, Zach not only modeled courage, but he encouraged this child. He helped him. And he cheered for him. And that boy got on. The. Horse. For the first time. And rode proudly. How amazing is that?! How amazing is God?!

A couple of weeks ago at horse riding (which I did witness), a 13 year old girl was there, ending her lesson. She had a lot of anxiety about getting on the horse, too. She hung around for Zach’s lesson and after seeing Zach mount that horse with such confidence and ease, she decided to give it a try. His courage was an inspiration to her.

Through these two simple acts. God has helped me see that despite all of the “special needs” Zach has. Despite all the challenges we face on a daily basis. Despite all the fear that lies in my heart. This child he has sent us is a gift. A blessing! In just a few weeks, he has blessed two children through one simple activity. And if I can only shift my perspective, I can allow him to be a blessing to our family, too.

2 Corinthians 12:9 says “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness. So now I am glad to boast about my weakness, so that the power of Christ can work through me.”

The power of Christ truly is working through Zach in these moments. Isn’t he?

This serves as a good reminder to me to look past the trials we are facing and see the blessings in those trials. To look past my own weaknesses and limitations and remember that God’s power and grace can shine through those weaknesses!

An added bonus--I’ve been praying that Zach would meet a friend. A true friend. After the lesson last night Zach and this other child ran around and played together. The instructor has arranged for the other boy to start coming to horse therapy at the same time as Zach. I believe this just might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship! An answered prayer, perhaps.

Lord, “I praise you because [Zach] is fearfully wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well (Psalm 139:14)

Just look at this Grace. Joy. And The Power of Christ that is at work.



3 comments:

  1. God is an Awesome God! What a true friend in Jesus Zach is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story. So glad God helps us love like him! God has used you as his hands and feet...but he definitely is using Zach too - beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story. So glad God helps us love like him! God has used you as his hands and feet...but he definitely is using Zach too - beautifully!

    ReplyDelete